1. Compo Beach is the main attraction for both the locals and visitors with a large playground and a concession stand. The water on the Long Island Sound is calm, making it perfect for young children. In the summer, there are day rates (less expensive on weekdays vs. weekends).
2. Another wonderful option is Sherwood State National Park. It’s not as well known as Compo, but still has an expansive beach and nature trails to explore. The wetlands have all sorts of critters, and my girls love to sit by the stream and watch the turtles and sea gulls. There’s picnic area and campground, and if you want to have a sunset barbeque, public grills are plentiful.
3. Earthplace is a nature discovery center spread out on 62 acres of open space (the largest open space area in Westport). The highlights are the hands-on museum, where kids can touch the animals, and an array of nature trails. The gardens were created to attract butterflies, so this is a fun place for kids to get close to them.
4. The Westport Library is the perfect venue for breaks from the sun or rain. They have a kids floor with an outstanding collection of children’s books and a play space that includes trains and toys. Art projects are available for older kids.
5. The Westport Playhouse, made famous by Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, has fantastic shows. Family Festivities are the productions just for children and run on many Sundays at 1p and 4p.
Want to save all the great intel and tips you are finding on Ciao Bambino? My Trip Planner allows you to bookmark articles, family-friendly hotel reviews, and family vacation packages. Simply click the heart icon on anything you want to save. Site registration is required to get started. Happy planning!
Please fillout the form below to create your free My Trip Planner account.
Stay up to date on the latest in travel finds and news for families. Join our newsletter!