It’s always great to get ‘things to do’ tips from a local. A big thanks to Amy of the Q Family Adventures for this great guest post on the top 5 kid-friendly excursions in Atlanta. Amy’s blog is fun to follow — she covers US destinations, as well more exotic destinations like Thailand and Cambodia. Follow her on Twitter @Theqfamily.
Atlanta is a great destination for family vacation with kids. We have many popular attractions that I’m sure by now I don’t have to talk about like the Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coca-Cola, or Stone Mountain. In addition to those popular destination, there are many places to visit that can bring as much fun to kids of all ages, especially the little ones of the family. Here are my 5 family favorites for little kids and toddlers in Atlanta.
1. The Centennial Olympic Park – The Centennial Olympic park in the downtown area is a favorite place for everyone in the family. You can check out various Olympic structures all around the park. The kids can enjoy the Fountain of Rings during hot day in Atlanta. Afterward, you can have a picnic in a park and enjoy the afternoon at the new children playground that’s so cool kids wouldn’t want to leave. Also throughout Summer, there are various free events to entertain the adults of the family like the Music @ Noon, Wednesday WindDown or 4th Saturday Family Fun Days.
2. Zoo Atlanta – The Zoo Atlanta might not be one of the biggest zoo in this country but I think because of that it’s a perfect zoo for kids especially the young ones. The Zoo is small enough to allow you to enjoy without tiring little legs. It’s mostly shaded along the path make it perfect to beat the Atlanta heat. Plus there is Kid Zone that allows a small break from the animals that kids can enjoy train ride, children playground or the carousel.
3. Atlanta Botanical Garden – This gem in the Atlanta is not only for garden-lover parents but kids of all ages. The Children’s Garden utilizes the interactive features with plant education to provide fun activities for the whole family. Kids will love to get wet in several water features or explore the Flower Bridge filled with year-round herbs.
4. Chattahoochee Nature Center – A short drive from downtown Atlanta to the Northern Metro will bring you to the Chattahoochee Nature Center situated in Roswell along the Chattahoochee River. The nature center is a great place for a fun easy outdoor adventure with kids of all ages. The brand-new Interpretive Center is a great stop for kids to learn about nature and water along the Chattahoochee River. There are several easy hiking trails for family with kids. Each trail is less than 0.5 mile so it’s perfect for first timer or family with small children.
5. Imagine It! Children Museum – A fun children museum in the heart of Atlanta is a perfect stop for family with small children. The museum is one story so it’s easy to navigate. There are several areas to satisfy kids of various interests. Kids will spend hours at the water table or the Giant Ball machine. A little Picasso will love to show their art skill painting on the wall or create a masterpiece sand sculpture. Don’t forget to check out special exhibit that rotate out every quarter.
Want to save all the great intel and tips you are finding on Ciao Bambino? My Trip Planner allows you to bookmark articles, family-friendly hotel reviews, and family vacation packages. Simply click the heart icon on anything you want to save. Site registration is required to get started. Happy planning!
Please fillout the form below to create your free My Trip Planner account.
This is a challenging time for our clients given the uncertainty around the spread of coronavirus, particularly for those with near-term travel plans in impacted areas. We’re working with our suppliers on being flexible with their booking conditions, and enabling families to postpone travel to a later date without a penalty, when possible. Likewise, given the unpredictability around destinations that may be impacted in the future, we’re helping clients planning new trips and understand ways that they can protect themselves until the situation improves. We are ready to help our clients work through questions and concerns.
Stay up to date on the latest in travel finds and news for families. Join our newsletter!