Even when kids are out of school for spring break, these destinations still boast enriching experiences that encourage them to learn, grow and make family memories. Consider Sedona’s red rock country, the beaches of Florida and the Caribbean, or Sicily for a different perspective on Italy. And don’t overlook destinations that seem a little farther afield — both Japan and South America are within a 10-hour flight (or less), depending on where you live!
Best 2018 Spring Break Destinations
Cooler springtime temps are perfect for hiking Sedona’s famous red Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock formations.
The otherworldly Atacama desert in northern Chile, known for its surreal landscape, salt flats, sand dunes and stargazing, is a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Why not make it this spring?
We can help you plan an unforgettable spring break vacation!
Our expert Family Vacation Advisors work with you to book vetted family-friendly accommodations, recommend activities, arrange private tours and guides, and more — all with one-on-one support. Click to send us a request >
Blessed with beautiful beaches, French-Creole history and amazing food, Martinique is less touristy than some of its Caribbean counterparts — spring break heaven for snowbirds.
As wet season draws to a close (usually by April), Namibia’s desert landscape is especially green with vegetation. Travelers also benefit from low-season rates before the summer.
Sushi, anime, the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto and springtime cherry blossoms … what’s not to love?
Sanibel & Captiva, Florida
Off Florida’s southern Gulf coast, this pair of islands boast powdery sand, more than 250 bird species, shells galore and 25 miles of bike paths.
Castles, a gorgeous coastline and the UNESCO-recognized Giant’s Causeway are some of the draws to the northern end of the Emerald Isle.
With a pleasant climate year-round, this group of seven islands off the coast of Spain has long attracted spring breakers. Beyond the beach lie many natural reserves and rich ecological areas.
From Greek temples to Roman cathedrals to spice-inflected cuisine, history, geography and food converge to make this island in the Mediterranean an Italian destination all its own.
Mainland Ecuador has tremendous Galapagos-style eco experiences at a third of the price. Combine beach time with a visit to Cuenca, a lake district high in the Andes, for a trip packed with immersive cultural encounters and wow moments.
Spring Break Travel Tips
• If your spring break falls during Easter, be sure to understand how your destination will be affected by the Easter holiday, particularly in countries such as Italy and Spain.
• Consider shoulder-season destinations where you can still ski or have some beach time without the high-season rates.
• Eliminate worries about variable weather by planning a city break, which offers plenty of museums and indoor attractions.
• If your travel dates are flexible and you’re willing to fly the day of a holiday, you may be able to access better flights and reduced fares.
• Dreaming of a European beach vacation? Keep in mind that spring is still pre-season in Sardinia, Sicily and Greece, so the weather and water might not be warm enough to enjoy.